Are you preparing to teach 1st grade math and want to know what to teach? Here is a list of all the concepts and skills that should be covered and learned. Plus, I’ve included suggested products to use to give students the practice they need to master what they need to know…
Concepts and Skills:
– Adds and subtracts numbers 1-20, solves word problems by using objects, drawings and traditional equations with the plus and minus signs.
– Adds 3 numbers that add to a number up to 20.
– Solves addition and subtraction problems by adding up or subtracting smaller numbers, for example 10+4 = 10+2+2 and 15-6= 15-2-2-2.
– Learns the relationship between addition and subtraction, for example 2+3=5 and 5-3=2.
– Counts out and groups objects in order to solve single digit addition and subtraction problems.
– Counts and writes the numbers 1 to 120, starting from any number less than 120.
– Understands and creates numbers using 10 as a base, for example, 12 = 1 ten and 2 1’s.
– Compares two 2 digit numbers using the <, >, and = signs.
– Adds up to100 using objects and the concept of 10’s.
– Subtracts or adds 10 to a 2 digit number in her mind, without counting, and subtracts by 10 from numbers 1-90, using concrete objects or tools.
– Orders three objects by length.
– Begins to tell and write time using both digital and analog clocks.
– Understands data, specifically, the total number of data points, how many are in each category and how many more or less there are in a category.
– Understands the definition of and difference between shapes and creates shapes using this knowledge.
– Creates 2 and 3 dimensional shapes.
– Breaks up circles and rectangles into two and four equal parts, and understands that the parts are halves, fourths, and quarters, and that smaller parts make up larger ones.
NUMBER SENSE & OPERATIONS
- Name, model, write, compare, and order numbers to 200; identify place value and odd/even; skip count.
- Identify and model fractions (halves, thirds, fourths) as parts of wholes/groups.
- Identify coins and $1 bills; find value of collection of coins.
- Know addition and subtraction facts through 10; model, create, and solve addition and subtraction problems.
PATTERNS, RELATIONS & ALGEBRA
- Identify, create, describe, and extend simple rhythmic, shape, size, number, color, and letter patterns; skip count by 2s, 5s, 10s .
- Construct and solve addition and subtraction sentences.
- Identify, draw, describe, and compare 2-D and 3-D shapes.
- Identify parts of the day, week, and month; tell time to half hour.
- Measure objects and use appropriate measurement tools; make and use estimates.
- Compare and order objects by length and weight
DATA ANALYSIS, PROBABILITY, & STATISTICS
- Gather, organize, represent, and interpret data using tallies, charts, pictographs, and bar graphs.
- Decide most likely outcomes.
Need teaching resources to teach the above skills? Below are the resources you need!
All the below suggested products on My Teaching Library can be purchased individually or you can purchase an All-Access subscription and have INSTANT access to ALL products, not just the ones listed below! All-Access to all resources – all subjects!
Learn more about ALL-ACCESS subscriptions @ https://myteachinglibrary.com/membership/
Suggested Products to master skills:
Themed / Seasonal suggested products:
Suggested product for all Math Students (1st – 6th): Math Glossary